Friday, March 13, 2009

Speed Grapher

I was on the lookout for as mature anime series - mature in the sense of gritty and adult themed plot - and following some surfing I found this gem - Speed Grapher.

Once the I saw the opening with Duran Duran's Girls on Film, I knew I would like this. The idea of the main character using his camera as a weapon was an interesting concept, kind of reminded me of the horror PS2 game Project Zero (Fatal Frame), and although this series has slight horror by the way of various monsters making their entrance in the show, I felt this series to be more of a action drama.

The relationship between Saiga and Kagura was sweet and core to the series. It was his teachings to Kagura about the reality of the world which was interesting to watch and you can really see their affinity for each other grow as the series progresses. However it was the villain Sitengu who stole the show for me, after seeing his background and motivations in what he is doing and I personally felt - good on him and hope he succeeds, which to have that kind of feeling for the villain for the peice proved to me that this was good story. YOu even start to have feelings for his back up crew of villains, which again I have only seen in Black Lagoon.

I did feel however the series did become a monster of the week scenario, and the series could have been shorter, but its a TV series so I think we all have to live with this!

Fan fave - Ginza was welcome humour relief to the series, however she was a much needed contrast and flip side of the coin in protection Saiga. It was nice to see that similarity portrayed. Plus she fulfilled a guys fantasy of taking control of some situations - if you know what i mean! ;)
With regards to the sexual themes, were they required? I think this aspect is where Speed Grapher was trying too hard to aim for its intended mature audience, and could've been handled better, but I think it was probably a way of enticing people to watch the series,m thankfully it didn't interfer with the story.

Animation wise - not as good as Gonzo could be, but not that bad that it effects enjoyment. Sound track wise - fiited the series well, but nothing too memorable that makes you want to OST.

At 24 episodes not much of investment of time, and if you do like a dark gritty character driven story, and you dont mind some OTT, give Speed Grapher a go, especially past episode 4 where it starts to shine.

An overall 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment